The Simpsons is a television series that revolves around the eponymous dysfunctional family. It first aired on 1989 and continues to broadcast today.
This show also exists in the South Park universe, specifically in the episode "The Simpsons Already Did It". At least one of The Simpsons characters, Bart Simpson, exists in South Park; Eric Cartman meets him in "Cartoon Wars Part II". Even though South Park and The Simpsons are competitors, Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and The Simpsons creator Matt Groening have mutual admiration for each other.
A driver shouts "Dope" at Mr. Mackey, a reference to Homer's catchphrase on the show.
In the Season Six episode "The Simpsons Already Did It", Butters Stotch, as Professor Chaos, schemes to put South Park in chaos. Dougie reminds him that his ideas are unoriginal because they were already done on The Simpsons:
- Butters wants to block out the Sun, as seen in "Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)".
- Butters cuts the head off of a statue, as seen in "The Telltale Head".
- Butters plans to sell a monorail to the town and then leave with all of their money, as seen in "Marge vs. the Monorail".
- Butters plans to start a website that spreads rumors about the townspeople, as seen in "The Computer Wore Menace Shoes".
- Butters plans to bury a winged skeleton wanting people to believe that it is an angel, as seen in "Lisa the Skeptic".
- Butters wants to bring the World Cup to town to incite a soccer riot, as seen in "The Cartridge Family".
- Butters wants to shake up beer cans with electronic paint mixers, as seen in "So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show".
The main plot of this episode has Cartman grow a race of Sea Creatures that evolve and worship him as their creator. This is a drawback to the "The Genesis Tub" skit of "Treehouse of Horror VII", where Lisa accidentally grows a civilization from her lost tooth.
By the end of the episode, Butters goes insane and hallucinates the townspeople and geography of South Park as they would look on the Simpsons. The South Park characters and their The Simpsons counterparts are listed below:
- Dougie as Bart Simpson
- Veronica Crabtree as Otto
- Mr. Garrison as Waylon Smithers
- Tom the News Anchor as Kent Brockman
- Mr. Mackey as Mr. Burns
- Eric Cartman laughs like Nelson Muntz
- Liane Cartman as Lunch Lady Doris
- Timmy Burch as Ralph Wiggum
- Chef as Apu
- Mr. Hat as Groundskeeper Willie
- Stephen Stotch as Seymour Skinner (deleted scene)
- Linda Stotch as Edna Krabappel (deleted scene)
In "Cartoon Wars Part II", Eric Cartman meets one of the main characters of The Simpsons, Bart Simpson, who shares his hatred of Family Guy. The pair work together to cancel Family Guy. Bart's opinion later changes after Kyle gives him one of his "gay little speeches".
Simpsons references to South Park
In the Simpsons episode "The Bart of War", Bart and Milhouse watch a "brand new episode of South Park". The episode features Stan, Kyle, and Cartman in concert. There O.J. Simpson attacks and murders the band members. Cartman eventually gets decapitated. Marge Simpson finds the show too violent and turns off the TV. Kenny is absent from this parody, likely due to his permanent death in South Park. Only Stan, out of him, Kyle and Cartman, has a speaking role.
Coincidentally, due to the blending of the two shows' animation styles, the boys appear similarly in this parody as in "The Simpsons Already Did It" except for their usual beige skin color.
In The Simpsons episode "O Brother, Where Bart Thou?", Bart, Milhouse, Nelson and Ralph stand at a bus stop respectively dressed up as Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny. Otto crashes his bus into Ralph and exclaims, "Oh my God, I killed Kenny".
The chalkboard gag on The Simpsons episode "The Squirt and the Whale" is: "South Park - We'd stand beside you if we weren't so scared". It references the Muhammad controversy from the South Park episode "201". After the episode "Cartoon Wars Part I" aired, The Simpsons writers sent Parker and Stone flowers to thank them.
- Simpsons South Park Parody.png
South Park, as seen on The Simpsons
- Simpsons South Park.png
Bart, Milhouse, Nelson and Ralph dressed up as the boys.
- Treehouse of Horror XXV -00040.png
The Simpsons in South Park style